feedburner subscribe

if you put your email address in here any new posts will go direct to your inbox, you can unsubscribe easily:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

me and the broken ukele

I haven't heard a whole lot of live music lately between a wedding and a lovely weekend spent housesitting, when I set about learning my first trad tune off Kirsten on the only instrument to hand which happened to be a slackplastic string ( ;-) ) ukelele, probably bought on my hosts' honeymoon, which I tuned in fourths (kind of) for easier transferral to my bass ... until the bridge snapped clean off the body. Oh God, Aideen - Eoin, I'm so sorry I haven't even mentioned that... next time I call out I'll bring some wood glue. Hope Belfast was great.

Edward Beckett was a pleasure last week in a flute concert with pianist Martin Jones but I had to skedaddle off for this months STeTLab which played host to the rather brilliant Eaten By Children video/music hope we get him back over the water again soon. Definitely Ping Pong material if you ask me...

Not much else to report - a good thing though I want clean ears for Friedlander tomorrow. And since I have a committee meeting directly before it and the wild and debauched Midsummer festival direct before that - well, this'll be brief again I need a good night's sleep.



Wednesday 14th

Sorry about the late warning but I just found out about...
1pm School of Music Michael Cleaver (who gave that fantastic minimalist clarinet concert a few weeks back) playing 19th century-composer Anton Eberl's recently re-discovered sonata and another treat of Brahms. I know A bit more though than last time - he's a founding member of Crash and a seasoned and excellent musician who has been studying at the School of Music so when he's finished there I don't suppose we'll have the same opportunities to hear him so grab this if you can. And it's free!


8pm The Bodega Cork Midsummer Festival are inviting the whole town over to the Bodega to celebrate the launch of the festival programme. No need to worry that you didn't wear fancy enough stuff - the code is casual and seasonal get down and enjoy a slice of the fun while taking your first peek at what is rumoured to be a BUMPER edition of fun this June... " It will feature new up and coming act ROUGE and then we will have a summer/salsa Club – which will suit the weather we are having!"

9pm The Whisky No doubt Jess Klein will be worth checking out too... on any other night...




Thursday 15th

1.10pm Crawford - it's all about lunchtime concerts in summer - I know sandwiches in the park is great, but when you want a real lift there's nothing like a 40 minute music fix if you ask me. This one Dr Dana Borsan from Bucharest playing Beethoven Chopin and Schumann in the sunny lecture theatre of the gallery. One of the nicest little venues for music it's so comfy and intimate and the sound's lovely.

7.30 Honan Chapel, UCC join me for the once-off chance to hear the internationally renowned Rimsky-Korsakov String Quartet who will play a selection of russian and russian-themed music as part of a high-level official delegation to promote educational and cultural links between St Petersburg and Cork. Damn exciting stuff...

9pm Roundy Room Suzanne Joubert (from the Declan Sinnott hothouse)and fiddler Edel O'Sullivan should be a nice place to head to afterwards...



Friday 16th

8pm Henry's Cellar Bar, Edinburgh. I will just off the plane and hopefully on time to see my mate sam and the rest of Employee of the Month live for the first time (I think? No, they rocked supporting Caribou in Club one didn't they? or was that his other project North Atlantic Oscillation? )and have a catch up in the lovely city. A trip to Forest Cafe is definitely on the cards.

9pm Cyprus Ave Those fancy, funky rascals the Neon Flea Circus have been playing loads recently by all accounts and headline their own gig just 7 quid for a heap of fun songs, put pour dancing slacks on and get on down...



Jaysus, it's half eleven, sorry lads ye'll have to find out the rest from elsewhere I want to sleep....




--
What's going on?
http://corklivemusic.blogspot.com

No comments: