feedburner subscribe

if you put your email address in here any new posts will go direct to your inbox, you can unsubscribe easily:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

detritus, anglegrinders and chamber music

It's taking a real effort to get comfortable for my first night in in ages. There's stuff everywhere to be relocated, machines full of the wet and dirty detritus of everyday living, dog hair and wrappings, half-finished food and jobs weighing on my mind. Need to have the place clear before I head west for the WCCM festival.

If you're interested in a little appetite-whetting, you'll find my own review of last year's right here .

How's your Midsummer Festival been going? Braakland and Super Stan were unlikely bedfellows for my Friday night but it somehow flew and could probably only have worked so well in the the company of a Desmond, whose fancy dress put my lack of to shame. Rockin stuff.
Faust were everything promised and more, damn near blew my head off and even when I awoke with my ears ringing the next day, I still knew it was worth it. Wondered on my only trip to Germany where Beethoven and Bach's legacy laid given the drivel served up in bars and beyond there, but I was looking in the wrong places (btw, chain saws and angle grinders music not just publicity stunt). Please bring em back!

Corcadorca's The Hairy Ape was superb last night in the preview, if it hasn't sold out yet (it has a a mercifully long run at least) do yourself a favour. And I really enjoyed You've got to Love Dancing Dancing to Stick with It but that's over, though you can catch it again in Kinsale or Bray next month.

Outside of Midsummer fest I fell for Joan as Policewoman Sunday, she somehow transcended the horrific hired keyboard, playing to a shamefully small but devoted and pin-drop quiet crowd.

No tips this week, I won't be here so I can't be bothered. Going to watch Flight of the Conchords instead.

You have received this week's mailing in a new fashion, direct from my blog. All the cutting and pasting was becoming a drag, I was forever letting the mailing list be copied to everyone and, most important of all, I wanted to give ye the chance to opt out. I'll try not to be offended, I know there's a few people reading it so it won't put me off I'm sure! There'll be some opt-in/opt-out clause thing when you get this.

Give me a shout if you plan to come to Bantry. A simple tip - One of the late night and one of the big Bach Brandenburg coffee concerts would be an interesting alternative to (and only a couple of quid more than) a single main concert. So you could go out after work in the evening, eat in Bantry, stay a night, hear a concert and be back by, well maybe 3 the next day if you had to. Oh jaysus the carbon though...


CRAP! Nearly forgot. Right when I get back I'm putting on a gig - it's Saturday 12th July in Cyprus Avenue and if you can come I'd love to see ya and catch up a bit. Nothing too demanding, nice entertaining music and people, good vibes, some people you haven't heard or met before... read about it here

No comments: